1. At Immigration Check:
- A student who wants to study in Canada must apply for the study permit. You will be eligible for applying study permit once you got selected by the university in Canada. You can apply study permit through online or by submitting an application in Canadian visa office in your region.
- you should have your passport valid for the entire duration of your studies.
- Include a copy of university acceptance letter in your documents list which might be required at immigration check.
- Keep all your academic certificates in an organized form.
2. Distinct weather:
3. The Initial Days At The University :
- Make sure to collect the international student hand book. It will have lots of great information like how to apply for the bank account, How to travel, or buy a cell phone, etc.,
- The Turnkey Desk located at student life center is both the help center and store.It never closes which makes great if you need bus tickets, international calling cards or if you just need a map.
- Make sure to attend orientation events, specially your international orientation.It’s a great chance to meet new friends like other international students.
- There will also be other international adviser to answer any questions like Important guidelines to maintaining your visa/study permit status, Classes that you will take in your first semester, English language testing procedures, The University’s rules and regulations, The layout of the University campus, Purchasing books and supplies, How to open a local bank account, Setting up your email and computer access, etc.,
4. Searching For The Accommodation :
5. Getting Used To Canadian Culture:
- Maintain time for professional and social occasions.
- Be respectful in conversation and behavior. When you are speaking with men say (Mr.) followed by their name and (Mrs.) followed by their name when speaking with women.
- Canadians believe in equality between genders, so show respect to the opposite sex.
- Don’t insult people’s by making comments on race, religion, gender, disability or appearance.
- Avoid personal questions about things like age, salary, marital status, relationships, and the cost of personal items until you are well-acquainted with people.
Canada has two official languages, English and French. Initially you may not understand the Canadian accent as Canadians have different regional accents. So don’t hesitate to ask them to speak slowly if you have concerns with understanding. Give yourself time to get used to the language and slang.
7. Educational System In Canada:
- Students of Canada should be on-time for their classes and in submitting their assignments.
- When you are doing a team work don’t be afraid to express your ideas.
- Evaluate yourself in different ways as this can increase your presentation skills, team work skills and research skills. this will make you academically stronger.
- It is necessary to participate in all activities during your classes. You may be asked to participate in class discussions, group work or other activities. It is very important to participate outside of the classroom as well. This will help you to build your network and makes new friends.
- Be polite with fellow students. When you want ask help from people start the conversation with “Please”, “Can you” and when you receive a help don’t forget to say “Thank you”.